Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The End of the Year Survey

Hello, all!

I'm finally participating in The Perpetual Page-Turner's End of the Year Survey! This was TOUGH to fill out but I think I did all right! Without further ado....

2014 Reading Stats
Number of Books Read: 89
Number of Re-Reads: 2
Genre You Read the Most From: I *think* paranormal

Best in Books:
1. Best Book You Read in 2014?
Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang
- This was a tough one, it really was. I read some amazing books this year, but none of them affected me the way this book did. It was, in one word, stunning.

2. Book I Was the Most Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn't?
Splintered by A. G. Howard
- I expected to LOVE this one (because Alice in Wonderland retelling, yo!) but it fell kind of flat for me. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it.

3. Most Surprising (in a good or bad way) book I read in 2014?
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
- This one was surprising because I read the description for it YEARS ago, and kind of forgot the plot. I also wasn't expected to ship Perry and Aria as much as I did. I totally understand what all the hype about this one was for!

4. Book You "Pushed" The Most People to Read (And They Did) in 2014?
The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider
- I love pushing this book on everyone. I got a bunch of my friends to read it and sold even more copies at work. It's just such an amazing book.

5. Best Series You Started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

Best Series Started: The Archived by Victoria Schwab. Holy amazing writing, Batman!
Best Sequel: Crash Into You by Katie McGarry. FEELS.
Best Series Ender: Infinite by Jodi Meadows. I couldn't have asked for a better ending.

6. Favourite New Author You Discovered in 2014?

Kasie West
- I LOVED bother her contemporary books, and I need to get my hands on the Pivot Point duology! 

7. Best Book From A Genre You Don't Typically Read/Was Out Of Your Comfort Zone?
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- I don't read a lot of classics, but I had to read this one for my American Lit class and ended up absolutely loving it.

8. Most Action-Packed/Thrilling/Unputdownable Book of the Year?
We Were Liars E. Lockhart
- I read this in a couple of hours and I don't think I put it down once.

10. Favourite Cover of Book You Read in 2014?
Infinite by Jodi Meadows
- LOOK AT THAT COVER.

11. Most Memorable Character of 2014?

Thomas Mackee from The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
- Heart-breaking and utterly amazing.

12. Most Beautifully Written Book Read in 2014?
Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater
- Maggie always amazes me with her writing and Sinner was no exception. It was phenomenal in every way possible

13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang
- Absolutely ruined me. 

14. Book You Can't Believe You Waited UNTIL 2014 to Finally Read?

Legend by Marie Lu 
- I heard about this book before it even came out and I can't believe I took this long to read it!

15. Favourite Passage/Quote From a Book You Read in 2014?

"If we make it through this alive, I'm going to tell you the truth of why. And this time you had better believe me. I came back for you, Isabel." - Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater
- Two pages into this book and I was crying. THANKS MAGGIE. My heart still hasn't recovered.

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read in 2014?
Shortest: The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale & Dean Hale
Longest: Impulse by Ellen Hopkins (reread this one)

17. Book That Shocked You The Most

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- Y'ALL KNOW WHY.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
THIS IS NOT FAIR. Seriously, I can't just pick one. So. I picked...um....five.
- Sydney & Adrian: Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead
- Isabel & Cole: Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater
- Sloane & James: The Treatment by Suzanne Young
- Isaiah & Rachel: Crash Into You by Katie McGarry
- Ana & Sam: Infinite by Jodi Meadows 

19. Favourite Non-Romantic Relationship of The Year
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
- That ragtag group in the van made my heart melt

20. Favourite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You've Read Previously
Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater
- Can you see a theme developing? 

21. Best Book You Read in 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
- I read this both for book club and cause my friend Katie loved it. And I'm very happy I did!

22. Newest Fictional Crush From A Book You Read in 2014?
Wesley from The Archived by Victoria Schwab
- GUYLINER.

23. Best 2014 Debut You Read?

Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang
- I can't express how amazing this book was.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas
- I know this is an odd choice, but this book was so vivid. The tension was palpable and I could picture with clarity everything that was happening. She really made the story come to life!

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
On the Fence by Kasie West
- Just adorable.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang
- I cried for a solid half-hour after reading this book.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I have two! 
In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo. This book needs way more buzz than it has gotten because it is MARVELOUS. The written story is beautiful and the pictures are extraordinary. CHECK THIS BOOK OUT!
Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets by Evan Roskos
- THIS BOOK THOUGH. It has everything I love and more and it was so well-written. Y'all should go pick this one up. 

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
- The bestie and I read only 20 pages at a time because it hurt so much to read. But it was so worth it. 
29. Most Unique Book You Read in 2014?
Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets by Evan Roskos
- A depressed kid with a love of Whitman and tree-hugging who has an imaginary bird therapist? Yeah, really unique. And so so beautiful.
  
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn't necessarily mean you didn't like it)?

Ignite Me by Taherah Mafi
- I'm going to say a solid No Comment on this one.


Your Blogging/Bookish Life

1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2014?
Hmm, I didn't get to do a lot of blog reading this year, so I don't really have one!

2. Favourite review you wrote in 2014?
Well, I didn't do a ton of reviews in 2014, but I did like my In the Shadows by Kiersten White & Jim Di Bartolo review!

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
- Probably The Toronto International Book Fair because I got to meet incredible authors (Maggie Stiefvater, yo!) and hang out with my amazing Toronto peeps.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
 There were so so many. I think I have to say all the times I got to hang out with the Ottawa Bloggers though, cause I love those girls.

6. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
 I'm not too sure, to be honest. Recently, my Waiting On Wednesday post for Please Remain Calm by Courtney Summers got some love.

7. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Probably that Jodi Meadows interview cause she is SO GREAT at interviews!
8. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
- The Strand in NYC. Wasn't really a discovery, but I went to it the first time this year and UGH SO GREAT.
9. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
- Yeah, no. I didn't keep up with reading like I wanted to.


Looking Ahead

1. One Book You Didn't Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
- I'm sure there will be a few gasps when people realize that I haven't read BLLB yet. I KNOW, GUYS. I KNOW. I'm scared. I'm excited. And I know I need a time where I can just sit down and not stop reading it, and I haven't had any days like that the last two months. January though!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
All The Rage by Courtney Summers
- I'm lucky enough to have an awesome friend who requested an ARC of this just for me (THANKS EM!) so I'll be reading this one VERY SOON. But, it is still my most anticipated read of the year (even though I get to read it a few months before it comes out)

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
- There are a BUNCH but I'm going to go with My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga. Because it sounds phenomenal.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?

Raven Boys #4 by Maggie Stiefvater
Basically, I'm going to be SO HEARTBROKEN when this comes to an end. I don't know how I'm going to handle it.

5. One Thing You Hope to Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life in 2015?
- I want to actually reach my goal of 100 books read next year (and surpass it, if possible). I also really want to get back into blogging. I finally feel like reviewing isn't similar to pulling my teeth out and I'm dedicated to making time to making my blog the best it can be.

6. A 2015 Release You've Already Read & Recommend to Everyone 
- I actually haven't read a 2015 release yet! But I'm going to recommend All the Rage anyways, cause I know it'll be awesome. 

Phew, that was a tough one!

Goodbye, 2014! You've been interesting.

- Ciara (Lost at Midnight)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love myself some comments so if you have one feel free to add it! Hope you have an awesomely book-filled day!