Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Mini-Reviews: Children's Book Edition!

Hey, everyone!

A couple of months back, I received an AH-MAZING package from the lovely Jackie at Penguin Random House which included a bunch of picture books. I have a soft spot for picture books of all kinds so I dived right into them. I normally stick to just YA books here, but I decided to do a bunch of mini-reviews to highlight these awesome picture books. Here are a couple of the ones I got! 


Sam & Dave Dig a Hole
Author: Mac Barnett
Illustrator: Jon Klassen
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: October 14th, 2014
Source: Received from publisher for honest review

When I pulled this book out of the package I immediately squealed "EEP JON KLASSEN!" I absolutely adore this work, and Sam & Dave Dig a Hole was no exception. He and Mac Barnett make a fantastic team in this cute and fun story. The artwork was gorgeous (as usual for Klassen) and the plot was funny and had me smiling all the way through. Also it has a clever and curious dog which is just great. My mom also loved this book (considering she is a hugely pick reader (and human) this is a big accomplishment)! She pulled it out, just to flip through it, and ended up reading the whole thing with a smile on her face. Sam & Dave Dig a Hole is the perfect edition to any book collection.

Find This Book: Chapters | Goodreads | Penguin Random House

Quest
Author & Illustrator: Aaron Becker
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: August 24th, 2014
Source: Received from publisher for honest review

I had never heard of this book before it appeared in my package but I'm always willing to check out a picture book. When I opened it up though, I was confused. There were no words! I flipped a couple pages ahead and still no words. So, I looked it up. And found out that Quest was, in fact, a wordless picture book. Once I started reading again, I took the time to appreciate all the illustrations and wow, they were marvelous. There was lots of detail and creativity, beautiful and fantastical worlds brought vividly to life. This story didn't need any words to be understood, the pictures were definitely enough. I'm really excited to see what Aaron Becker will do next. 

Find This Book: Chapters | Goodreads | Penguin Random House

Edie's Ensembles 
Author & Illustrator: Ashley Spires
Publisher: Tundra Books
Release Date: October 14th, 2014
Source: Received from publisher for honest review

I'd heard some buzz about this book before I received a copy and I understand why. The pictures in this book are so creative and beautiful. I loved all the crazy outfits Edie created, and I'm a sucker for stories with animal characters. The story itself tugged at my heartstrings. I was getting a little misty eyed, at points! I think this is a great book to give to kids about being who you are but also being a great friend. I cannot wait to give this book to my little cousin so she can enjoy it just like I did.

Find This Book: Chapters | Goodreads | Penguin Random House's Website

What are your favourite picture books? Any of these catch your eye? Let me know in the comments!

- Ciara (Lost at Midnight)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love myself some comments so if you have one feel free to add it! Hope you have an awesomely book-filled day!