Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Review: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Title: Incarnate (Newsoul #1)
Author: Jodi Meadows
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: January 31st, 2012
Source: Purchased (Thanks, Mom!)

My Rating: 5/5

New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

There are so many things I want to say about this book. I want to pour all my thoughts, feelings, emotions about this book onto the page and pray they do Incarnate justice. What a beautiful, beautiful novel. I think that would be the best way to sum it up. Even in it’s most disturbing, and painful moments Incarnate manages to be stunning.

Originality is something I appreciate in a novel, as is themes apart from the story. Incarnate had both of these in spades. The story tackled issues like abuse, identity, and exclusion with precision, and passion. It was heart-wrenching reading about Ana’s upbringing, and enraging knowing the cruelty she had to face not only in her home, but in this warped society was well. I wanted to stand in front of Ana, and protect her from the abuse. But Ana wasn’t some down-trodden soul, but a determined and courageous one. Reading about her growth, and her journey made me smile, and made me feel proud of this beautiful New Soul. I loved her relationship with Sam as well. It didn’t seem fake, or cheesy but rather honest and refreshing. I couldn’t help but smile at their conversations, and felt my heart give a little squeeze in anticipation. Sam himself was such a genuinely great guy. Not perfect, but heartfelt and sweet, which I loved.

The plot line of Incarnate was such a new idea! I loved the idea, and Jodi Meadows wrote a fantastic story to match. The idea of reincarnation was given new life, and made you question if this constant simply made the world stagnant. The edition of dragons and sylphs to the story was also great. Can’t say I’ve read about dragons in a very long time! But, the fantastical monsters were nowhere near was frightening as the human monsters. Usually “soul” is synonymous with the world “pure” but in this case, many of these souls were blackened to the core. It was amazing how such a seemingly “perfect” society could harbor such judgement.

Overall, Incarnate blew me away. It was spectacular, creative, and simply fantastic. Jodi Meadows, you are on my must-buy list! Check out this book. You’ll feel the same way!


- Ciara who is lost at midnight 

Find this book: Amazon | Goodreads | Jodi Meadow's Website  



1 comment:

  1. The cover of Incarnate is absolutely gorgeous, and the the story within its pages it just as great. I loved the dystopian meets fantasy feel of the book too, and the romance between Ana and Sam was so sweet. Great review, Ciara! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love myself some comments so if you have one feel free to add it! Hope you have an awesomely book-filled day!